Cybit working with DEFRA to promote long-term sustainable fisheries management
- New technology will help to combat illegal fishing
- For a high resolution image, click here
, the international provider of telematics based products and services for the management and control of land and sea based assets, is pleased to announce that its subsidiary, BlueFinger Ltd
, is assisting DEFRA in its promotion of long-term sustainable fisheries management.
BlueFinger is providing the shoreside components of the UK's Electronic Recording and Reporting of Fishing Activity System which assists in the conservation and sustainable exploitation of fish stocks under the EU Common Fisheries Policy. DEFRA's selection of the BlueFinger solution is the realisation of a broader international effort to combat illegal fishing. The use of new technology will be a major asset when it comes to monitoring fishing activities and quota compliance.
The Electronic Reporting System (ERS) will record, report and process all catch related fishieries data including species, landing, transhipment and sales. The information will be updated online by the master of the fishing vessel and transmitted automatically to the responsible authorities.
Adam Jarrett of DEFRA, commented: "By replacing paper based systems, the accuracy of the data available to government advisors and the scientific community will improve. We will also provide commercial fisheries with improved marketability of their catch making it harder for illegally caught fish to be sold, therefore protecting the licensed fleet.
"These measures are fundamental to tackling illegal fishing practices and to the overall long-term sustainability of our natural resources. The economic rights of our coastline are also protected with great visibility and transparency that this new solution provides."
Richard Horsman, Chief Executive of Cybit, said: "BlueFinger, as part of the Cybit Group, has gained a worldwide reputation for the successful development and implementation of Vessel Monitoring Systems
and fishery Economic Exclusion Zone protection. Our expertise in this field, combined with our track record in the provision of advanced software solutions, has been instrumental in the extension of our 12-year relationship with DEFRA.
"Cybit's expertise and sustained relationships in this division of the business illustrates the strength of the business as a whole, and is testament to the fact that Cybit is seen as the partner of choice in this arena."
IBA - PR for Cybit
Tel: 01780 721 433
Marketing Manager, Cybit
Tel: 01480 389100
Cybit is a global force in Telematics, operating within three core sectors: Internet-based vehicle Telematics solutions; Economic Exclusive Zone (EEZ) Management; and Private Mobile Radio (PMR) based asset tracking and precise positioning solutions.
In the vehicle Telematics sector, Cybit is one of Europe's leading Telematics Service Providers. More than 2,000 business-to-business clients use the company's fleet and asset management solutions to manage in excess of 50,000 assets primarily in the public sector, service industries and logistics and distribution markets. Solutions include in-vehicle technologies, workflow management, CANBus integration and internet-based monitoring and reporting software. The company also provides consulting services to advise on operational and legal issues such as duty of care and working hours.
Cybit is also a global leader in the field of EEZ fisheries management, tracking many thousands of fishing vessels on a daily basis. The company provides vessel monitoring and catch management solutions for many of the world’s major fishing nations. As well as EC governments including the UK, Ireland and Greece, Cybit helps to manage valuable fishing stocks for emerging nations such as Ghana, Namibia and Mozambique.
Cybit's PMR business provides asset-tracking and precise positioning solutions for both maritime and land-based applications including mineral exploration and coastal security. Its precise positioning solutions are in constant use in the location and exploitation of oil, gas and mineral reserves around the globe.
Additional information is available at www.cybitholdings.com, www.cybit.co.uk, www.truck24.com, www.amatics.com, www.cybitpositioningsolutions.co.uk and www.bluefinger.com
- The BlueFinger designed database will hold full catch and sales records of every vessel over 15 meters in length and make this data available 24/7 via any web-connected PC.
- BlueFinger's provision of ERS and real-time access to catch reporting by buyers, sellers and authorities is managed by DEFRA on behalf of the Marine & Fisheries Agency, Marine Scotland, the Department of Agriculture in Northern Ireland and the Welsh Assembly Government.
- All vessels greater than 24 metres in length will be required this year to electronically record and transmit logbook data on a daily basis. The same requirement will apply to all EU fishing vessels greater than 15 metres in length from 2011.
- The UK fishing fleet of circa 6,500 vessels lands over 614,000 tonnes of fish and shellfish annually. ERS is a key component of managing the long-term viability and protection of UK fishing grounds, species stock management and an industry employing over 16,000 frontline workers. The Electronic Recording and Reporting of Fishing Activity is part of a pan-European project commissioned and funded in part by the EU.
Issuers of news releases, not Targetwire, are solely responsible for the accuracy of the content.